Purpose of the job: Working directly with the Vice Chancellor, the post holder will ensure that the University complies with all standard legal practice ensuring highest levels of corporate governance. The post holder will also be the Secretary to the Governance Boards in the University.
- Ensure that the University complies with standard legal practice and maintains highest standards of corporate governance.
- Draft and review agreements, contracts, and other legal documents to ensure the University’s full legal rights.
- Remain up to date with developments in laws ensuring understanding of effects on the University and its operation.
- Ensure that the University complies with legal codes, performing duties often attributed to legal advisors.
- Ability to conduct legal analysis and research legal matters.
- Draw up formalities regarding the settlement of legal cases and monitor implementation of the legal clauses.
- Organise and prepare agendas and papers for Board meetings, committees, and annual general meeting (AGMs).
- Take minutes, draft resolutions, and communicate outcomes of meetings.
- Follow up on actions arising from meetings.
- Oversee policies, making sure they are kept up to date and referred to the appropriate committee for approval.
- To be actively involved in preparing, drafting, and reviewing of different internal policies.
- Contribute to meeting discussion as and when required, and advising members of the legal, governance and implications of proposed policies.
- Monitor changes in relevant legislation in the regulatory environment and suggest appropriate actions that need to be taken.
- Liaise with external regulators and advisers, including lawyer and auditors.
- Any other duties as deemed necessary by the line manager.
Main skills and experience required:
- Reasonable knowledge of accounting and finance as well as business and management.
- At least 3 years working in legal department. Experience of working in education sector is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both English and Arabic is a must.
- A clear track record of complete personal and professional integrity and of a commitment to equality and diversity at all levels;
- A strong belief in and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Muscat University.
- An awareness of the sensitivity of the role and a focus on confidentiality.
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Ability to work well individually and within a team
- Ability to work long hours when needed
Education, Qualifications and Training
- BSc Law from a reputable higher education institution.
Terms and Conditions
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.