Muscat University is looking to grow its Faculty of Business & Management through the appointment of a Lecturer and a Senior Lecturer in Finance and Economics with emphasis on Corporate Finance, International Finance, Investment and portfolio management, Quantitative analysis, Fintech and Blockchain, and Micro and Macroeconomics. With an ethos of providing an exceptional student experience, the post holder will work with the Faculty Director and where applicable the UK faculty to ensure efficient and effective delivery of modules. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that curriculum management and enhancement activities comply with required standards of the Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) and those of the UK partners – Aston University.
For appointment to the Lecturer rank, a minimum of a Master qualification in Finance is required along with two-years’ experience of Higher Education (HE) teaching. For the SL rank, a minimum of a PhD in Finance or closely related field is required from an accredited university, ideally UK based and AACSB accredited, good research profile, and a minimum of three years’ post-doctoral HE teaching (including at master’s level). Exceptional candidates with recognised professional qualifications and substantial industry &/or professional experiences including at least five years HE teaching & research experience can be considered for a Senior Lecturer rank. Experience of the UK HE sector and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments would be an advantage, as would strong links to industry, and experience of an international context. In addition to teaching, the post-holder at the SL level will be responsible for developing and supervising research projects, enhancing collaborative activities with industry and practicing leading-edge research through an international publication record.
The overall economic landscape in The Sultanate of Oman has been constantly improving over the years as a result of progressive governmental plans, polices and strong regulations. Human capital and research are key pillars underpinning these efforts in the national level and Muscat University is well-placed to play an important role as facilitator through its vision of being a beacon of excellence in innovation and entrepreneurship, delivering high-quality teaching, facilitating learning and conducting rigorous research that is relevant to the social and economic priorities of Oman.
We acknowledge, understand and embrace diversity and expect joining faculty to display and apply the same principles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience on the Muscat University undergraduate programmes and where applicable undergraduate programme in conjunction with Aston University, and master’s level programmes.
- Construct, plan and assess student assignments (where applicable in liaison with the partner universities).
- Liaise with the Faculty Director on all student matters including timetabling, academic and technical support.
- Undertake the role of a Personal Tutor.
- Undertake research and scholarly activity with a view to publishing in refereed international academic journals.
- Participate in University meetings and events including Board of Examiners, Programme Reviews, Planning and Monitoring Committees and Staff/Student Liaison.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which may include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
Education & Qualifications
- PhD (or equivalence) or Master degree in Finance
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships of recognized bodies.
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards (within 18 months).
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Ability to communicate with clarity on complex & conceptual ideas to those with limited knowledge & understanding, and to peers, using high level skills & a range of media.
- Ability to think critically and promote innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrates competences, core behaviour and supplementary behaviour that support and promote the University’s core values.
- Committed to ensuring a high-quality student experience.
Additional requirements at Senior Lecturer level:
- Ability to devise, advise on and manage research programmes.
- Track record of published research in internationally recognised journals.
- At least two years’ experience of teaching modules in Finance in Higher Education position.
- Experience in the International HE sectors and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments.
- Strong links to industry and experience of an international context.
- Academic accreditation or quality assurance experiences.
- Strong track record in research and scholarly activities or ability to demonstrate capability for same.
|Hours||Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.|
|Location||Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)|
|Terms and Conditions||The appointment will be made at the appropriate level, according to the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered in accordance with Sultanate of Oman Labour Law.|