Lecturer(1 position) / Senior Lecturer (SL) in Accounting (1 position) at the Faculty of Business and Management
Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer (SL) in Accounting at the Faculty of Business and Management
Muscat University is looking to grow its Faculty of Business & Management through the appointment of a Lecturer and a Senior Lecturer in Accounting with emphasis on Audit, professional Ethics, Business Tax, Tax Policy and Personal Tax, and Strategic Management Accounting. With an ethos of providing an exceptional student experience, the post holder will work with the Faculty Director and where applicable the UK faculty to ensure efficient and effective delivery of modules. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that curriculum management and enhancement activities comply with required standards of the Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) and those of the UK partners – Aston University.
For appointment to the Lecturer rank, a minimum of a Master qualification in Accounting is required along with two-years’ experience of Higher Education (HE) teaching. For the SL rank, a minimum of a PhD in Accounting or closely related field is required from an accredited university, ideally UK based and AACSB accredited, good research profile, and a minimum of three years’ post-doctoral HE teaching (including at master’s level). Exceptional candidates with recognised professional qualifications and substantial industry &/or professional experiences including at least five years HE teaching & research experience can be considered for a Senior Lecturer rank. Experience of the UK HE sector and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments would be an advantage, as would strong links to industry, and experience of an international context. In addition to teaching, the post-holder at the SL level will be responsible for developing and supervising research projects, enhancing collaborative activities with industry and practicing leading-edge research through an international publication record.
The overall economic landscape in The Sultanate of Oman has been constantly improving over the years as a result of progressive governmental plans, polices and strong regulations. Human capital and research are key pillars underpinning these efforts in the national level and Muscat University is well-placed to play an important role as facilitator through its vision to empower individuals and communities through transformative learning and teaching, informative research and proactive industry engagement in Oman and the GCC region.
We acknowledge, understand and embrace diversity and expect joining faculty to display and apply the same principles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience on the undergraduate and PGT and PGR level programmes.
- Construct, plan and assess student assignments.
- Liaise with the Faculty Director on all student matters including timetabling, academic and technical support.
- Undertake the role of a Student Advisor/Personal Tutor.
- Undertake research and scholarly activity with a view to publishing in refereed international academic journals.
- Engage with external business & management related bodies and industry to enrich the student experience, including visiting students on industrial placement.
- Participate in University meetings and events including Board of Examiners, Programme Reviews, Planning and Monitoring Committees and Staff/Student Liaison.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which may include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
- Actively engage with businesses/professional bodies/schools and colleges/communities/enterprises, etc., organize student outreach and invite industry speakers to enhance the student experience and facilitate industrial placement of students, as appropriate.
Skills and Aptitudes
- Skills and Aptitudes:
- Ability to communicate with clarity on complex & conceptual ideas to those with limited knowledge & understanding, and to peers, using high level skills & a range of media.
- Ability to think critically and promote innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrates competences, core behaviour and supplementary behaviour that support and promote the University’s core values.
- Committed to ensuring a high-quality student experience.
Additional requirements at Senior Lecturer level:
- Ability to devise, advise on and manage research programmes.
- Track record of published research in internationally recognised journals.
- PhD (or equivalence) in Accounting for Senior Lecturer (SL) rank
- Master degree in Accounting for Lecturer rank.*
*Candidates with recognised professional qualifications and substantial industry &/or professional experiences including at least 5 years HE teaching & research experience can be considered for a SL rank.
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships of recognized bodies.
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards (within 18 months)
- At least two years’ experience of teaching modules in Accounting in Higher Education for the Lecturer position and at least three years’ HE teaching (including at master’s level) for SL position. Exceptional candidates with professional qualifications can be considered for SL rank.
- Experience of the UK HE sectors and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments.
- Strong links to industry and experience of an international context.
- Academic accreditation or quality assurance experiences.
- Strong track record in research and scholarly activities or ability to demonstrate capability for same.
If you face any difficulty in applying through the job portal, kindly send your CV with all the required details listed in the form below to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Hours||Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.|
|Location||Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)|
|Terms and Conditions||The appointment will be made at the appropriate level, according to the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered in accordance with Sultanate of Oman Labour Law.|