Lecturer / Senior Lecturer (SL) in Logistics and Transport Management – Faculty of Transport and Logistics
Muscat University is looking to grow its Faculty of Transport & Logistics through the appointment of a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Logistics and Transport Management. Applications are welcomed from those with experience of teaching and research in a range of discipline fields including, but not exclusive to, transportation, operations management, quantitative methods, logistics modelling and performance management. With an ethos of providing an exceptional student experience, the post holder will work with the Faculty Director to ensure efficient and effective delivery of modules. S/he will be responsible for teaching modules such as: Air & Maritime Transport; Land Transport; Quantitative Techniques for supply chains, and Supply Chain Planning.
S/he will be responsible for ensuring that curriculum management and enhancement activities comply with the required standards of the Omani accreditation authorities.
For appointment to the Lecturer rank, a minimum of a Master’s degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management or closely related field is needed along with experience of Higher Education (HE) teaching. For the SL rank, a minimum of a PhD in Logistics and Supply Chain Management or closely related field is required, a solid research profile, and a minimum of three years’ post-doctoral HE teaching (including at Master’s level). Experience of the UK HE sector and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments would be an advantage, as would strong links to industry and experience of an international context. In addition to teaching, the post-holder at the SL level will be responsible for developing and supervising research projects, enhancing collaborative activities with industry and practising leading-edge research through an international publication record.
The Sultanate of Oman is investing heavily in logistics infrastructure to support its Logistics Strategy for 2040. Human capital and research are key pillars underpinning this strategy and Muscat University is well-placed to play an important role as facilitator through its vision of being a beacon of excellence in innovation and entrepreneurship, delivering high-quality teaching, facilitating learning, and conducting rigorous research that is relevant to the social and economic priorities of Oman.
- We acknowledge, understand, and embrace diversity and expect joining faculty to display and apply the same principles.
- This position will start in Jan 2022 and applications will be open until the job is filled.
- Priority in recruitment shall be given to Omani Candidates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience on the Logistics and Supply Chain Management undergraduate and Master’s level programmes.
- Construct, plan and assess student assignments in liaison with the module leaders.
- Liaise with the Faculty Director on all student part matters including timetabling, academic and technical support.
- Undertake the role of Personal Tutor.
- Undertake research and scholarly activity with a view to publishing in refereed international academic journals.
- Engage with external logistics-related bodies and industry to enrich the student experience, including visiting students on an industrial placement.
- Be prepared to travel (including internationally) on University affairs.
- Participate in University meetings and events including Board of Examiners, Programme Reviews, Planning and Monitoring Committees and Staff/Student Liaison.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which may include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
Education & Qualifications:
- Master’s (for lecturer)/PhD (for senior lecturer) in Logistics and Supply Chain Management or closely related area.
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships of recognized bodies (e.g. CIPS/CILT UK or international equivalent).
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards (within 18 months).
Skills and Aptitudes:
- Ability to communicate with clarity on complex & conceptual ideas to those with limited knowledge & understanding, and to peers, using high level skills & a range of media.
- Ability to think critically and promote innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrates competencies, core behaviour and supplementary behaviour that support and promote the University’s core values.
- Committed to ensuring a high-quality student experience.
Additional requirements at Senior Lecturer level:
- Ability to devise, advise on and manage research programmes.
- Track record of published research in internationally recognised journals.
- Experience in teaching modules in Logistics and Supply Chain Management in Higher Education for the Lecturer position and at least three years’ HE teaching (including at Master’s level) for SL position.
- Experience of the UK HE sectors and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments.
- Strong links to industry and experience of an international context.
- Academic accreditation or quality assurance experiences.
- Strong track record in research and scholarly activities or ability to demonstrate capability for same.
Terms and Conditions:
The appointment will be made at the appropriate level, according to the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered in accordance with Sultanate of Oman Labour Law.