Lecturer (L) /Senior Lecturer (SL) in Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Muscat University
This is a predominantly teaching-focused position to manage and support delivery of postgraduate, undergraduate and executive programmes.
The post-holder will have primary responsibility for teaching Chemical Engineering (Experience in teaching process design is an extra credit) and Renewable Energy modules, laboratory development and supervision, and supporting relevant programmes in the Faculty of Engineering and Technology and, if required, contribution to relevant teaching in foundation programmes as well as on executive education courses. Preference will be given to candidates with administrative experience.
Applicants should provide a current CV and a cover letter justifying their suitability for the position. In doing so, applicants should use their qualifications, experience in teaching and research in an HE environment, teaching areas of interest and ability, and motivation for applying to Muscat University.
While we value the interest shown by every applicant, we are able to respond only to short-listed candidates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience in undergraduate (BSc and BEng), laboratory, pre-masters, postgraduate programmes and in executive programmes.
- Ensure all necessary content and material is in place for the degree programmes in time.
- Construct, conduct and plan student assessment, ensuring coherence and in alignment with MU Academic Regulations.
- Liaise with the Faculty Director on all student matters & timetable planning and manage module timetables, content & resource areas, liaising with academic & technical staff as appropriate.
- Initiate high-quality learning and teaching/training activities that reflect the needs and contemporary currency of the subject and to foster a group dynamic and peer learning.
- Engage with students and demonstrators during laboratory sessions to ensure a high level of understanding is achieved by the students.
- Ensure all learning experiences comply with the expectations of all related standards of the Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA).
- Monitor the student voice through meetings, surveys and reviews and liaise with the Faculty Director in relation to findings, initiating solutions to any student dissatisfaction or other issues.
- Formulate and coordinate the Final Year Projects and Dissertations to ensure a consistent and rigorous process, including liaising with industry where necessary.
- Attend Open Days, external events and interviews as required by the Faculty Director to support recruitment activities.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
- Actively engage with businesses/professional bodies/schools and colleges/communities/enterprises, etc., organize student outreach and invite industry speakers to enhance the student experience and facilitate industrial placement of students, as appropriate.
- Organize, prepare and participate in University meetings and events including Boards of Examiners, Programme Reviews,Student/Staff Liaison, and faculty and university committees and policy developments.
- Work with the Faculty Director and other University representatives to ensure student attainment, success and progression by monitoring student attendance and performance, and obtaining student feedback.
- The post holder is expected to drive His/her research agenda in alignment with the University’s Research Strategy
- Master’s in Chemical Engineering or closely related area.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or closely related area.
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships of recognized bodies.
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards (within 18 months).
|Responsible ro||Faculty Director, Faculty of Engineering and Technology|
|Hours||Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.|
|Location||Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)|
|Nationality||Priority in recruitment shall be given to Omani Candidates.|
|Terms and Conditions||A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.|