Lecturer in Transportation and Logistics Management – Faculty of Transport and Logistics, Muscat University
Muscat University is looking to grow its Faculty of Transport & Logistics through the appointment of a Lecturer in Transportation and Logistics Management. Applications are welcomed from those with experience of teaching and research in a range of discipline fields including, but not exclusive to, transportation, aviation, airports/airlines operations management, and logistics and supply chain management.
With an ethos of providing an exceptional student experience, the post holder will work with the Faculty Director to ensure efficient and effective delivery of modules. S/he will be responsible for teaching modules such as: Air & Maritime Transport; Land Transport; Freight Transport Management and Supply Chain management.
S/he will be responsible for ensuring that curriculum management and enhancement activities comply with required standards of the Omani accreditation authorities.
The candidate must hold a minimum of a Master’s degree in Transportation and Supply Chain Management or closely related field is needed along with experience of Higher Education (HE) teaching. Experience of the UK HE sector and/or the Omani and GCC HE environments would be an advantage, as would strong links to industry and experience of an international context. In addition to teaching, the post-holder will contribute to the supervision of UG final year projects and research-related activities.
The Sultanate of Oman is investing heavily in logistics infrastructure to support its Logistics Strategy for 2040. Human capital and research are key pillars underpinning this strategy and Muscat University is well-placed to play an important role as facilitator through its vision of being a beacon of excellence in innovation and entrepreneurship, delivering high-quality teaching, facilitating learning, and conducting rigorous research that is relevant to the social and economic priorities of Oman.
We acknowledge, understand, and embrace diversity and expect joining faculty to display and apply the same principles.
Applicants should provide a current CV and a cover letter justifying their suitability for the position. In doing so, applicants should use their qualifications, experience in teaching and research in an HE environment, teaching areas of interest and ability, and motivation for applying to Muscat University.
While we value the interest shown by every applicant, we are able to respond only to short-listed candidates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience on the Transport and Logistics Management undergraduate and the Master’s level programmes.
- Construct, plan and assess student assignments in liaison.
- Liaise with the Faculty Director on all student matters including timetabling, academic and technical support.
- Undertake the role of Academic Advisor/Personal Tutor
- Engage with external logistics related bodies and industry to enrich the student experience, including visiting students on industrial placement.
- Participate in University meetings and events including Board of Examiners, Programme Reviews, Planning and Monitoring Committees and Staff/Student Liaison.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which may include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
- Actively engage with businesses/professional bodies/schools and colleges/communities/enterprises, etc., organize student outreach and invite industry speakers to enhance the student experience and facilitate industrial placement of students, as appropriate.
Skills and Aptitudes
- Ability to communicate with clarity on complex & conceptual ideas to those with limited knowledge & understanding, and to peers, using high level skills & a range of media.
- Ability to think critically and promote innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrates competences, core behaviour and supplementary behaviour that support and promote the University’s core values.
- Committed to ensuring a high-quality student experience.
- One to two years Experience of teaching in Transportation and Supply Chain Management in Higher Education.
- Experience in the Omani and GCC HE environments.
- Strong links to industry and experience of an international context.
- Academic accreditation or quality assurance experiences.
- Master’s in Transportation and Supply Chain Management or closely related area.
- PhD in Transportation and Supply Chain Management or closely related area.
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships of recognized bodies (e.g. CIPS/CILT UK or international equivalent).
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards (within 18 months).
|Responsible ro||Faculty Director, Faculty of Transport & Logistics|
|Hours||Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.|
|Location||Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)|
|Nationality||Priority in recruitment shall be given to Omani Candidates.|
|Terms and Conditions||A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.|