Job Title: English Language Lecturer, Muscat University
Line Management: All Lecturers report to the Director of Pathway Programmes who has overall leadership of both the undergraduate Foundation Programme and any English language activities the University undertakes. Purpose of the job: English Language Lecturers teach a combination of General English and English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and study skills to students on Muscat University’s Pathway Programmes and in-sessional support. They are responsible for planning and delivering interesting, useful and engaging English language lessons. All English lecturers are also expected to take part in assessment creation and delivery. Detailed description: English Language Lecturers support Muscat University’s vision by ensuring that students have appropriate English language proficiency to enable them to achieve success once they progress onto their chosen disciplines. In addition to teaching the students English language, language lecturers will provide Muscat University students with a set of key academic skills required to study an undergraduate or postgraduate degree taught and assessed through the medium of English. Working closely with the Pathway Programmes Director and other language lecturers on the Pathway programmes, lecturers will be expected to teach up to 20 hours of General English and EAP classes per week. Lecturers will also be required to create assessments and mark to given deadlines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning and delivering up to 20 hours per week to students on either the Undergraduate Foundation Programme or academic support to UG or PG students;
- Creating and marking assessments to students on the Pathway Programmes;
- Providing pastoral care to students on the Pathway Programmes via personal tutoring;
- Administrative duties relating to teaching (assessment, standardisation, moderation, lesson preparation, report writing, attendance of regular course and general meetings).
- Being an effective ambassador for the University locally, regionally and internationally among Muscat University academics, parents, students and other ELT professionals in the region;
- Effective liaison with Muscat University senior leadership, the Director of Pathway Programmes, other members of the Pathway Programme team, and academic staff;
- Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the post.
- Substantial experience of full-time EFL teaching together with some EAP-related teaching;
- Some experience of teaching post-graduate students as well as foundation-level students;
- Confidence in analysing language and providing constructive and explicit feedback on students’ spoken and written work;
- Able to work in a team and individually to teach and assess to agreed criteria;
- Able to work under pressure and meet administrative/marking deadlines;
- Good oral and written presentation skills;
- A good understanding of IT and its application to teaching e.g. the use of a VLE such as Moodle and Turnitin;
- English as a first language, or equivalent English language competence. Non-native English teachers are required to evidence this with a minimum IELTS certificate of 7.0
- Preferably experience of teaching students from the Middle East and/or Arabic learners of English;
- A strong belief in and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Muscat University.
Director Of General Foundation Program
Priority in recruitment shall be given to Omani Candidates.
A first (bachelor) degree + a postgraduate qualification in a relevant field e.g. MA TESOL/Applied Linguistics and/or a Diploma in English Language Teaching. Candidates are expected to have a minimum of two years relevant teaching experience.
If you face any difficulty in applying through the job portal, kindly send your CV with all the required details listed in the form below to email@example.com
|Responsible ro||Director Of General Foundation Program|
|Hours||Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.|
|Location||Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)|
|Terms and Conditions||A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.|