Muscat University, Sultanate of Oman, has an exciting opportunity for an experienced academic within the Business and Management field. The Faculty of Business and Management at Muscat University is seeking an exceptional leader to undertake this role. The appointee will be responsible for working closely with different departments to oversee the Faculty of Business & Management operations whilst also be responsible for leading and developing a growing set of degree programme within a relatively new university, which has strong support from private and Government sources in this fascinating and fast-growing country. The Faculty of Business & Management currently comprises of the BSc Accounting and Finance in partnership with Aston University in the UK, and a set of home-grown programs including BSc Marketing, BSc Global Entrepreneurship and New Ventures, BSc Business and Management, MSc International Business Management (General or Marketing), MSc Finance, and master’s in business administration (MBA). The faculty is also in the process of gaining approval for the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) from the Ministry of Higher Education Research and Innovation. Graduates from the programmes will receive degrees from Muscat University, and international accreditation will be sought. As Director of Faculty, you will have full responsibility for development of the programmes, for recruiting and leading a staff team, and for ensuring successful delivery of programmes. You will be experienced in a wide range of learning and teaching approaches and will be able to demonstrate excellence and innovation in learning, teaching and assessment. You will also work in effective collaboration with academic colleagues in Muscat University, and with partners to enhance curricula, foster interdisciplinary links, and contribute to the wider strategic, academic and operational leadership of the University. Further, you will be able to foster strong working relationships with external stakeholders including the Ministry of Higher Education Research and Innovation and especially industry partners who will provide placements for our students.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the Faculty of Business and Management operations and developing an Advisory Board for the School.
- Reporting to the DVC Academic Affairs, Research & Innovation work with colleagues to deliver the overall Muscat University Strategic Plan.
- Build and lead a team to deliver a high-quality learning experience for students and an opportunity to mentor team members to develop their teaching, research, and industry engagement activities.
- Oversee the delivery and development of programmes in conjunction with partners in order to achieve a sustainable programme and an excellent student experience.
- Recruit and manage the programs as well as manage the delivery of the programme, if approved by the Ministry of Higher Education Research & Innovation.
- Oversee the industrial placement element of the programmes building ties with industry to facilitate placement of students.
- Ensure all necessary content and material is in place for the programmes in time for each part of the programme to be delivered: this will involve adaptation of partners-sourced material to the Oman context.
- Ensure all necessary pastoral support is available to the students both at Undergraduate as well as Postgraduate levels to enable them to succeed on their programmes.
- Recruit and induct the necessary staff and lead delivery and practical organization of flying faculty from the partner universities with the aim of maintaining the highest possible standards of learning, teaching and assessment.
- Contribute to wider academic policy and planning across the University.
- Ensure fulfilment of university responsibilities in student admissions, instruction, progression and examination, availability of pastoral assistance and adherence to the relevant regulations.
- Monitor student attendance and performance and obtain student feedback in order to enhance the course over time.
- Develop and monitor appropriate evaluation, quality assurance and enhancement mechanisms.
- Consult with international professional bodies with a view to successfully securing accreditation when the first cohort graduates, and work to ensure that accreditation requirements are fully met.
- Consult with relevant national regulators, primarily the Ministry of Higher Education Research & Innovation (MoHERI) and the Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) to ensure that statutory requirements are met, and that university’s policies, systems and procedures are observed and applied.
- Undertake suitable personal scholarship and in due course, develop with colleagues’ appropriate research activities and ensure synergy between research and teaching.
- Planning and management.
- Lead disciplinary input to the recruitment and selection of students, ensuring fair and transparent processes are followed and that able, motivated students enter the program.
- Coordinate with affiliates colleagues to ensure that the programs are of the same quality and rigour as the partner equivalent and that good practice is exchanged between the three universities.
- Oversee the training and induction of Muscat staff to achieve partners ‘Recognized Teacher Status’.
- Develop a programme delivery plan in consultation with senior university management and take responsibility for its implementation.
- Plan, budget for and organize the programme resources leading to a financially sustainable Faculty through ensuring effective delivery, reviewing monthly spend, monitoring and ensuring budgetary compliance and making a case for further investments as necessary, as well as seeking opportunities for growth.
- Ensure that the highest standards of good practice are observed in respect of health, safety, environment, and professional ethics.
- Undertake other tasks as requested by the university senior management.
- Communications and external relations
- Act as the first point of contact on all academic issues connected with the programmes.
- Assist university staff om the promotion of the faculty’s offerings in order to attract a high-quality student intake and build a strong reputation with employers.
- Maintain, extend, and utilize personal networks within the national HE sectors and across the business and management community, creating a strong profile and esteem for Muscat University, and participate in relevant international conferences, etc., to this end.
- Network into the national HE sectors and relevant practitioner community.
- Monitor and ensure the quality of communications between the programme and external stakeholders.
- Any other duties as deemed necessary by the Line Manager.
Education to doctoral level in Business Management or Business Administration or a closely related discipline, High professional and ethical standards.
|Responsible ro||Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research and Innovation.|
|Hours||Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.|
|Location||Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)|
|Nationality||Priority in recruitment shall be given to Omani Candidates.|
|Terms and Conditions||A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.|