If you have difficulties sending your application, please forward your CV to this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description and Person Specification
Line Management: The Director of Academic Affairs reports directly to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research & Innovation (DVCAARI). The Director of Academic Affairs would have responsibility for any staff within that department including Placement Office staff and Learning Resource Centre staff (LRC).
Purpose of the job: The Director of Academic Affairs is the main focal point for academic partners. The Director is responsible for developing a highly effective, efficient, and seamless service between MU faculties and academic partners as well as internal services that are non-faculty specific including Learning Resource Centre (LRC), Placement and Registry.
The Academic Affairs function supports Muscat University’s vision by facilitating effective working relationships with University stakeholders. The role of the Director of Academic Affairs is to undertake and manage any cross-faculty affairs (detailed below) acting as a focal point for internal professional services as well as external academic partners.
The Director of Academic Affairs effectively facilitates the relationship between the faculties and the university partners, Learning Resource Centre (LRC), placement administration and any other stakeholders as necessary. Internally, the appointee will be the focal point for all cross-faculty academic Affairs issues including timetabling and scheduling. Further, the Director of Academic Affairs, reporting to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research & Innovation (DVCAARI) and liaising with the Quality Department, will have oversight for the development of academic policies and procedures to ensure cross Faculty alignment.
The Director of Academic Affairs has responsibility for establishing and communicating policies and procedures relevant to academic affairs, in collaboration with Faculties. The appointee will be responsible for ensuring that partner universities are aware of these policies as well as local stakeholders including the Ministry of Higher Education.
The Director of Academic Affairs is expected to be a vigorous advocate for the academic programmes and the intellectual life of the Muscat University community in general.
- Supporting the University’s senior leadership team in establishing a reputation for excellence at Muscat University; advising the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research & Innovation (DVCAARI) on matters relating to the health of the partnerships, changes in government or industry regulations affecting the academic provision and new opportunities for gaining efficiencies in academic administration procedure;
- Ensuring that the relationship between and across faculties and internal as well as external stakeholders are seamless, efficient and mutually trusting;
- Advising the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research & Innovation (DVCAARI) on potential opportunities for improvements and threats that may affect the operation of the University
- Working closely with QIP, Faculty and GFP Directors, University Support Services on developing & Leading on the development, refinement and communication of the University’s policies and procedures regarding academic provision for approval by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Research & Innovation (DVCAARI) and Quality Department, enabling the University to enhance its profile and reputation for excellence;
- Leading the development of new academic programmes and working closely with Faculty Directors, University Support Services ensuring quality assurance of the document preparation, submission and review processes.
- Liaising with Faculties to ensure the University meets all MoHERI related academic provision requirements in a professional and timely manner further supporting the University’s profile for quality;
- Developing and managing a repository system for academic related MoHERI documentation
- Directly line managing the Placement Office Staff and Working closely with Faculty Directors and partner Universities to develop strong and robust placement documentation that will support both students and placement providers ensuring that both have an excellent and mutually rewarding experience;
- In collaboration with Faculty Directors and Registry, lead on the delivery of successful, informative and professional induction sessions for new and returning students;
- Working closely with the Registrar and Director of Student Admissions to ensure that student handbooks, guides and other documentation positively reflect academic requirements;
- Directly managing staff in the Learning Resource Centre (LRC) to ensure that the correct resources are available and utilized fully and a high-quality service is provided to all stakeholders;
- Working closely with academic staff to ensure that the LRC provides an effective and professional service to staff and students;
- Being an effective ambassador for the University locally, regionally and internationally among academics, parents, students and prospective sponsors as well as senior members of international affiliate institutions;
- Providing clear and collaborative leadership through example, inspiring staff to succeed in all their activities;
- Conducting effective relevant staff performance reviews and providing supportive feedback to colleagues;
- Deliver high-quality teaching experience in UG and PG programmes as per MU Academic Workload Policy.
- Ensuring that the University makes appropriate and effective use of digital technology to enhance the University’s activities in the areas of academic administration.
- Line management of academics or staff in Faculties.
- Direct liaison with industry to facilitate placements.
- Development of Faculty specific policies and procedures.
- Involvement in Faculty specific academic provision.
- Any other duties as deemed necessary by the Line Manager.
Main skills and experience required:
- Significant leadership skills and proven effectiveness in senior management.
- High level conceptual, analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to develop innovative solutions.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of academic administration and relations.
- High levels of project management skills ensuring that work is delivered to a high standard among competing priorities.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of the intricacies of the Higher Education sector; and
- Proven ability to provide expert, high-quality, well-informed advice with a consideration to implications for the wider organization, government and community.
- Analytical skills required.
- A clear track record of complete personal and professional integrity and of a commitment to equality and diversity at all levels.
- A proven track record of excellence in leadership and management at a senior level within the areas of academic Affairs, within a higher education institution;
- Strong intellectual leadership and credibility, with the ability to maintain the respect and confidence of multiple stakeholders including faculty, staff and students;
- High-level strategic thinking, problem-solving and entrepreneurial skills;
- Excellent ambassadorial skills enabling the building and maintaining of strong relationships with external partners including academics, parents, students and prospective sponsors as well as senior members of international affiliate institutions;
- A good knowledge and understanding of local and international (preferably UK) higher education policies, practices and norms relating to the areas of academic administration, student placement, and Learning Resource Centre (LRC);
- Experience of working in the Middle East and/or experience of working closely with partners from the Middle East region;
- Understanding of and a commitment to the delivery of a very high-quality experience in the areas of academic Affairs;
- The ability to support key colleagues at the University in ensuring all policies, procedures and guidelines are aligned with all academic requirements.
- Direct experience of strategic planning, the management of staff, and of financial and other resources;
- Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation, influencing and networking skills and a proven ability to engage and influence at a high level with multiple constituencies;
- A strong belief in and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Muscat University.
- Prioritization of Omanis
Education, Qualifications and Training
A PA PhD or equivalent doctoral qualification is essential, preferably in an area closely related to academic administration. At least 10 years’ experience of working in a higher education context, including experience in staff management, is required. A level of proficiency in English, both oral and written, equivalent to that of a native speaker is also essential. Proficiency in Arabic would be advantageous.
|Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic Affairs
|Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.
|Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)
|Terms and Conditions
|A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.