Job Description and Person Specification
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer (L/SL) in Chemical Engineering (Process) Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Muscat, Oman (some local travel may be required)
Full time. Hours as necessary for the role.
Director of Programmes, Faculty of Engineering and Technology
This is a predominantly teaching focused position to manage and support delivery of postgraduate, undergraduate, foundation and executive education programmes. With an ethos of providing an exceptional student experience, the post holder will work with Directors of Programmes and the UK faculty to ensure efficient and effective delivery of modules. The post-holder will be responsible for ensuring that curriculum management and enhancement activities comply with required standards of the Omani accreditation authorities and those of the UK partners – Aston University and Cranfield University. Preference will be given to candidates who possess fundamental expertise and a record of scholarly productivity in chemical process and product design, process simulation, separation processes and closely related fields.
For appointment to the Lecturer rank, a minimum of a PhD qualification is needed along with two years experience of higher education teaching (including at undergraduate level) and experience of supervising theses at Masters level. For appointment to the SL rank, a minimum of a completed PhD is required from an accredited university, ideally UK based and IChemE accredited, and with a minimum of three years post-doctoral higher education teaching (including at Masters level). Experience of the UK higher education sector (including HEA fellowship) and/or the Omani and GCC higher education environments would be an advantage, as would strong links to industry and experience of an international context. In addition to teaching, the post-holder at the SL level will be responsible for developing research projects and supervising student projects, as required, and to contribute to a growing research reputation by building collaborations and leading-edge practice through an active international publication record.
The post-holder will have primary responsibility for teaching ‘Chemical Process Engineering’ modules, laboratory supervision, MSc project supervision, and supporting relevant programmes in the Faculty of Engineering and Technology and, if required, contribution to relevant teaching in foundation programmes as well as on executive education courses.
For informal discussion please contact Dr. Nader Mosavat, Director of Programmes, Faculty of Engineering and technology (email@example.com).
This is a predominantly teaching focused position to manage and support delivery of postgraduate, undergraduate, foundation and executive education programmes.
- Deliver a high-quality teaching experience in foundation, undergraduate (BSc), laboratory, pre-masters, postgraduate (MSc) programmes and in executive programmes in conjunction with Muscat University partners.
- Work as tutor in the MSc programme modules that are delivered by the flying faculty from Cranfield University, and as supervisor of student projects.
- Ensure all necessary content and material is in place for the degree programmes in time for each part of the course to be delivered by the flying faculty members from Aston University and Cranfield University.
- Construct and plan student assignments, module delivery and assessment, ensuring coherence and relevance, in consultation with the Module Leaders from industry and academic partners.
- Liaise with the Directors of Programmes on all student matters & timetable planning and manage module timetables, content & resource areas, liaising with academic & technical staff as appropriate.
- Initiate high-quality learning and teaching/training activities that reflect the needs and contemporary currency of the subject and to foster a group dynamic and peer learning.
- Engage with students and demonstrators during laboratory sessions to ensure a high level of understanding is achieved by the students.
- Ensure all learning experiences comply with the expectations of all related standards of the Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA).
- Monitor the student voice through meetings, surveys and reviews and liaise with the Director of Programmes in relation to findings, initiating solutions to any student dissatisfaction or other issues.
- Formulate and coordinate the Final Year Project (undergrad and postgrad) to ensure a consistent and rigorous process, including liaising with industry where necessary.
- Attend Open Days, external events and interviews as required by the Directors of Programmes to support recruitment activities.
- Maintain flexible working patterns which include some evening and weekend work in support of Programme/Faculty/University business.
- Mentor and provide guidance to more junior members of staff in teaching, research and consultancy activities.
- Coordinate with the PDs to actively engage with businesses/professional bodies/schools and colleges/communities/enterprises, etc., organize student outreach and invite industry speakers to enhance the student experience and facilitate industrial placement of students, as appropriate.
- Be prepared to travel (including overseas) on University business.
- Organize, prepare and participate in University meetings and events including Boards of Examiners, Programme Reviews, Planning and Monitoring committees, and Student/Staff Liaison.
- Work with the PDs and other University representatives to ensure student attainment, success and progression by monitoring student attendance and performance, and obtaining student feedback.
* The job description may be altered at any time in the future in line with the level of the post to meet changing institutional requirements, but only in full consultation with the post-holder.
- Experience and ability to lecture in the fields of Chemical Engineering such as ‘process design’, ‘process simulation’, and ‘Separation Processes’.
- Experience with process simulation software such as ASPEN HYSYS and/or ASPEN PLUS and CAE/CAD of chemical plants.
- Experience in teaching and conducting research using “analytical Chemistry” and “Unit Operation” labs.
- An appropriate level of digital capability with practical experience of applications
- A high level ability to think critically and promote innovation and creativity
- Demonstrates competences, core behaviours and supplementary behaviours that support and promote the University’s core values
- Demonstrates professionalism in learning / teaching and the values of the UK Professional Standards Framework for HE
- Committed to ensuring a high quality student experience
- Promotes a high performance culture, fostering continuous improvement and driving quality
- Excellent ability to build relationships and collaborate with others, internally and externally
- Ability to devise, advise on and manage research programmes
- Track record of published research in peer reviewed journals / professional journals
- At least two years experience of higher education teaching (including at undergraduate level) for Lecturer position and at least three years post-doctoral higher education teaching (including at Masters level) for SL position.
- Experience of the UK higher education sector and/or the Omani and GCC higher education environments.
- Strong links to industry and experience of an international context.
- Academic accreditation or quality assurance experiences.
- Professional background in Chemical Engineering will be an advantage.
- PhD (or equivalent) in Chemical Engineering or closely related areas.
- A good honours degree in Chemical Engineering related fields.
- Academic background in Chemical Engineering.
- PhD from an internationally accredited university, ideally UK based and/or IChemE accredited.
- Professional qualifications and/or memberships in recognized bodies.
- Fellowship of the HE Academy or willingness to work towards it (within 18 months).
Terms and Conditions
Applicants should provide a current CV (5 pages maximum) and a cover letter (3 pages maximum) justifying their suitability for the position. In doing so, applicants should use their qualifications, experience in teaching and research in an HE environment, teaching areas of interest and ability, and motivation for applying to Muscat University.
While we value the interest shown by every applicant, we are able to respond only to short-listed candidates. Interviews are expected to take place from 15thMarch 2019.
The appointment will be made at the appropriate level, according to the appointee’s qualifications and experience. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.