Welcome to Muscat University
This guide has been created to answer questions which are commonly asked about Muscat University. It will continue to be developed over time in response to questions that are asked by our Audience.
If the answer to your question is not here, email us on email@example.com.
Where is the location of Muscat University?
Our modern, custom-built campus is located only a stone’s throw away from Muscat’s modern shopping malls and just 10 minutes from Muscat’s pristine coast. It is opposite the Avenues Mall in the center of Muscat. Click here to get the map.
Is Muscat University a public or private University?
Muscat University is a private University which operates under license of the Ministry of Higher Education.
What are the Faculties that Muscat University includes?
What are the Bachelors programmes offered by Muscat University?
What are the Masters programmes offered by Muscat University?
Are Muscat University programmes approved by the Ministry of High Education (MOHE)? Are they recognized internationally?
Yes, the programmes are approved by the MOHE and students will obtain a degree from both Muscat University and Aston University.
What are the general admission requirement?
The general admission requirements for Muscat University programmes are as below:
- Omani students – Thanawia certificate with overall 75% and 80% in English, 75% Math and Chemistry
- Non-Omani students – Please contact Muscat University for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A minimum English language proficiency level equivalent to IELTS 4.5 or higher.
- A minimum English language proficiency level equivalent to IELTS 6 (BSc. Accounting & Finance requires 6.5 IELTS)
- Omani Students – successful completion of the Muscat University Foundation Programmeor other recognized foundation programme.
- Other students – A Level, Indian School Exams, IB, BTEC and other international high school diploma holders can enter bachelor degree programmes directly. For more information visit our website or contact the University directly for more information (email@example.com)
- A Bachelor Degree with equivalent of UK Second Class Honours or higher (i.e. 60% or higher).
- Students who do not have an Second Class Honours degree may be considered if they can demonstrate an appropriate level of experience. More information can be obtained from Muscat University (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A minimum English language proficiency level equivalent to IELTS 6.5 (MSc. Air Transport Management requires IELTS 7.0)
Can I enroll in a Bachelor Degree if I obtained a Thanawia score of less than 75% (e.g. 65-75%)?
The minimum requirements for entry are set by Muscat University and Aston University and are appropriate to the level of the degree programme.
Can I enroll directly in a Master’s programme even if I have only a Thanawia /Diploma/high school Diploma but significant working experience?
In principle yes, if the work experience is 6 years and above and relevant to the desired programme(after obtaining the diploma). This will be decided on a case by case basis.
Suggested wording change: Do I have to provide an official IELTS score? What support does Muscat University provide to enable candidates or students to obtain the required IELTS score?
To obtain the full benefit of undergraduate studies, Muscat and Aston Universities require an IELTS score of at least 6 (or equivalent) to enroll in a Bachelor programme. However, the Aston approved foundation programme at Muscat University enrolls students with 4.5 IELTS. Students passing it can proceed to the Bachelors programme and will not require another IELTS test score. An IELTS score is required from students coming from other foundation programmes.
Masters applicants who obtained a bachelor’s degree taught in English may be exempt from providing an IELTS score (the university must be/partnered/affiliated to university from an Anglophone country). Otherwise, students applying for master programmes are expected to obtain 6.5 or above (7.0 for MSc Air Transportation Management).
How do I apply for a Muscat University program?
Simply choose your programmefrom the Muscat University website and click on the apply tab at the bottom of the page. That will direct you to the application form where you are requested to provide your personal information. Once you complete this process you will receive a confirmation email from Muscat University. If you have any difficulties with this process or have not received an email confirmation please contact the University directly (email@example.com).
What are the required documents to apply for the programmes ?
You will need to upload the following documents at the last page of the online application:
- CV/Resume (only for master students).
- two reference letters (only for master students).
- personal statement (approximately 300 words on why you have chosen this programme and how it will benefit you).
- academic certificates and transcripts.
- English Language Proficiency Certificates (IELTS, TOEFL or equivalent). You can apply without an IELTS score but you are required to notify Muscat University of your IELTS test date firstname.lastname@example.org. Also note that you will not need to provide IELTS score if you have graduated from a university from an Anglophone country.
I could not upload my documents online, what should I do? The summary report is empty and I’m worried about my application.
You are kindly requested to send your documents to email@example.com with your name and phone number. The University will contact you to follow up your application.
I have applied online, what is next and how long will it take to get the acceptance letter?
Once you have completed your application and uploaded the relevant documents, your application will then be sent Aston University (bachelors) or Cranfield University (masters) for processing. This process will take around 2-3 weeks following which all candidates will receive a reply.
Is the foundation year compulsory for all Bachelor programme applicants?
The Foundation Year is a must for Omani Thanawia students and students from other GCC countries. Students who have completed other studies may be able to enter the bachelor degree programmes directly. The only exception is for students having A Levels, they can enter the bachelor programme directly.
More information is available on the Muscat University website, under each programme or by contacting the University directly firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I skip the foundation year as I have already done it in another university?
A foundation programme from a reputed provider may be sufficient for direct entry to the Bachelor Degree programmes. This will be decided on a case by case basis. A minimum English language proficiency level equivalent to IELTS 6 (or 6.5 for the BSc Accounting for Management) is still required. Kindly mail the details to email@example.com
Can I transfer my credits from another university?
This will be decided on a case by case basis. Kindly upload your transcript and you will receive the feedback accordingly.
Can I study BSc without having Thanawia certificate or Diploma? I have long work experience?
This will be decided on a case by case basis. Please contact the University directly to discuss your options (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Is there a part time BSc program? I’m in full time employment, are there any evening classes ?
The University is not offering part time Bachelor programmes nor evening classes now. The programmes are delivered a full-time basis and the classes are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Is there a part time MSc program? Are there evening class as for those who need to work?
Both full and part time master programmes take place in the morning period between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The detailed academic calendar can be viewed on the University website.
What is the cost of the programmeand what are the payment terms and methods?
You can download the tuition fees here.
Two installments are allowed per year. Payments can be made by online transfer or by checks.
How many intakes are there per year and what are the registration deadlines?
There is only one intake per year which is every September. The registration deadlines are as follows:
30 July for international students.
30 August for Omani citizens and expats living in Oman.
Do you provide accommodation and visa support?
Yes, please specify your specific needs when you apply online.
How do I contact the University?
You are welcome to contact Muscat University through one of the following channels:
- Call us at + 968 24645444
- Online chat (24/7)
- Mail us at email@example.com
- Text us at WhatsApp at +968 96765571
- Visit the Students Recruitment Department, first floor
Kindly note that your request/enquiry will be addressed during the official working hours and that this could take a few days.
What are the visa requirements? Are the students allowed to work with a student visa?
Visas will be dealt with by the University on behalf of International students. Students who have received their offer letters from Muscat University will be contacted for the relevant documents required by the authorities in Oman. At this point in time, student visas do not permit any part time work.