A mix of coursework and examination
Chemical Engineering is the study of planning, designing and developing products and processes where chemical and physical changes occur. The BEng in Chemical Engineering is designed to develop engineering skills, in the context of a firm grounding in chemistry. This degree programme is one of a set of undergraduate programmes designed by Aston University and offered at Muscat University. This is a dual degree programme, leading to the award of an Aston University degree and also a Muscat University degree.
The BEng in Chemical Engineering aims to:
- Provide a thorough grounding in the basic principles of chemical engineering.
- Provide students with appropriately structured curricula, combining teaching in theoretical and knowledge-based principles with practical skills training.
- Produce graduate engineers with the qualities and skills that are in demand by employers and who are able to make a valuable contribution to society.
- Offer students the opportunity to obtain relevant industrial experience by providing the option of a sandwich year for an industry placement.
Applicants will typically need one of the following qualifications (or international equivalent) for admission to the programme:
- A Level: BBB, must include A level Chemistry and A level Maths plus 5 GCSEs with grades A*-C to include GCSE English (grade C).
- HND: Minimum Merit Overall in HND in Chemical Technology or Chemical Process Engineering only.
- IB: 31 points with 5,5,5 in Higher Level subjects which must include Chemistry and Maths.
- AP: Grades 4,4,4. 3 AP subjects must include Chemistry and Calculus.
- An English language qualification equivalent to an IELTS level of 6.0.
- Where applicable, successful completion of the Muscat University Foundation Programme.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|Chemical Engineering Mathematics||Process Design||Professional Placement Year||Process Economics and Loss Prevention|
|Chemistry for Engineers||Transfer Processes||Advanced Process Design|
|Design and Build||Process Control and Instrumentation||Sustainability Project|
|Process and Product Design||Separation Processes||Particle Processing|
|Introduction to Transfer Processes||Optional Modules:
–Catalytic Process Technologies
-Introduction to Business Management
-Advances in Biomaterial Science
|Health, Safety and the Environment||Process Simulation||Professional Placement Year||Reaction Engineering|
|Physical Chemistry for Engineers||Reaction Kinetics||Process and Pollution Control|
|Professional Skills for Chemical Engineers||Introduction to Particle Processing||Advanced Separation Processes|
|States of Matter||Engineering Materials||Advanced Transfer Processes|
|Energy Supply||Optional Modules: